The purposes of Pi Theta Epsilon (PTE), as stated in the society's constitution, are to:
- Recognize and encourage scholastic excellence of occupational therapy students
Contribute to the advancement of the field of occupational therapy through scholarly activities, such as
research development, continuing education, and information exchange between student and alumni members; and
Provide a vehicle for students enrolled in accredited programs in occupational therapy to exchange information and to collaborate regarding scholarly activities.
Pi Theta Epsilon began at the University of New Hampshire in the fall of 1958. In 1987, the American Student Committee of the Occupational Therapy Association (ASCOTA), now the Association of Student Delegates (ASD), surveyed existing chapters about standards to establish and maintain a national honor society. In 1988, the Board of Directors of the American Occupational Therapy Foundation agreed to provide sponsorship and assistance in achieving recognition as a national honor society. An advisory committee was established and an operating budget was provided to support Pi Theta Epsilon activities through 1994. Work was undertaken to increase the number of chapters; register a logo, and become recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS). By March 1995, there were 43 operational chapters in the United States. In 2008, the AOTF Bylaws were amended to include the PTE president as a voting member of the Foundation Board of Directors. There are currently over 80 active chapters.
Trademark/Logo of the Society
On November 23, 1993, the Pi Theta Epsilon Service Mark (logo) (shown above) was published in the Trademarks Official Gazette. A Certificate of Registration was issued soon thereafter. This logo is depicted on the official pin that can be worn only by Pi Theta Epsilon members.